Experimenting with natural dyes – Coffee

For my second experiment with natural dyes, I used coffee.  I just saved the grounds from my husband’s french press for a few week (plus I added in a few whole bean just for good measure.)

IMG_4131 IMG_4132

My son enjoyed helping me mix up the big pot.

IMG_4130

I strained out most of the coffee grounds before adding the yarn, otherwise I would have never been able to get that mess out.

This time I added the alum/cream of tartar mordant to the pre-soak of the yarn.  I used the same yarns as my last experiment: romney hand-spun, angora hand-spun, and Valley Yarns Northampton in natural colorway.  The idea was to dye my husbands aran sweater that I made out of Northampton in the coffee natural dye if he liked the sample, but he decided he wanted it to stay natural colored.

IMG_4133

I let the yarns soak overnight to get a rich brown color.  It’s crazy how the different fibers took the colors differently!

IMG_4134IMG_4137

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Dyeing and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s